From the Cascade Mycological Society’s FB page: MUSHROOM PICKING PERMITS

There are varying regulations regarding Mushroom picking in the State of Oregon. The majority of the requirements for various forest lands are presented below. Regulations do change, so you should always check with the applicable government agency or landowner before venturing into the forest to pick mushrooms. The intent of these regulations is to ensure continued availability and sustainability of our country’s forest resources.

On CMS sponsored forays we often visit Federal Lands that require a permit. Obtaining a FREE USE PERMIT before the trip is strongly encouraged.  Picking mushrooms for Commercial use will always require a permit and include more restrictive limits on the locations that commercial harvesting may take place.

Parking Passes:  Also be aware you may need a Federal, State, or other local parking passes in order to park your vehicle.  If you are a Senior you are eligible for a lifetime National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Senior Pass. You must be a US citizen or permanent resident and age 62 or more. With this pass, you have free access to more than 2000 federal recreation sites. It covers entrance fees at national parks and national wildlife refuges. It also covers entrance and standard amenity fees for a driver and all passengers in a personal vehicle where you would normally have to pay. More information can be found at the National Park Service

Truffles: Truffles are regulated and permitted separately from Wild Mushrooms.  Effective July 1, 2014, Oregon House Bill 2615 requires all persons to obtain a permit to collect Truffles on both private and state-owned forestland.  A permit must be obtained from the landowner.  The Bureau of Land Management, Salem District, is offering permits to harvest truffles on designated BLM lands in Northwest Oregon. Only trained truffle dog- assisted harvesting is allowed.  Link to Salem BLM Truffle Permit Requirements

Private Land: Never enter onto or pick mushrooms on private land unless you have the permission from the landowner.

Camp Grounds: If you have been shrooming for any amount of time, you have probably noticed that mushrooms love campgrounds.  Please be aware the rules for a campground may differ from the general rules for the park or forest lands in which the campground resides.  If you are venturing into a campground area always check to see if there are any posted signs about prohibitions on picking mushrooms and/or forest products.  If there are no posted signs, follow the rules for the park or forest land the campground is located within.

Fortunately, many campgrounds close down sections in the fall, or in some cases an entire campground closes.  Picking in a closed area or campground is best.  If you do go into an occupied area do not disturb the campers.  Unless they ask questions, then feel free to tell them about the joys of foraging for mushrooms.

Oregon State Forest Lands: No permit is required for collecting Mushrooms for personal use from state forestland in the Astoria, Tillamook, Forest Grove, North Cascade, or West Oregon Districts.  The limit for personal use is one gallon per vehicle at any one time.

Oregon State Parks and Recreation Areas: Oregon state law (Division 10: General Park Rules, 736-010-0055 Cultural, Historic, Natural and Wildlife Resources, Park Resources section 5) states, Unless otherwise posted a person may gather for personal consumption of berries, fruits, mushrooms, or similar edibles in quantities not to exceed five gallons per person per day.

Bureau of Land Management (BLM): There are no requirements for a permit to collect mushrooms for personal use on lands managed by the BLM.  Up to 1 gallon of mushrooms per person per day is allowed.

Crater Lake National Park and Oregon National Monuments Mushroom picking is strictly prohibited within Oregon National Parks and National Monuments.

Wilderness Areas You may collect and consume mushroom within Wilderness areas.  You may not remove mushrooms from Wilderness areas.

Siuslaw National Forest (Central Oregon Coast): No permit or fee is required for quantities less than one gallon per person per day. If collecting more than a gallon even if only for personal use a permit is required. Up to six (6) matsutake mushrooms can be collected per day for incidental/non-commercial use. All matsutake mushrooms collected under incidental use must be cut in half length-wise immediately after picking to remove their commercial value.

Ochoco National Forest (Central Oregon, popular for Morels & Spring Boletes) A Free Use permit allows you to gather up to two gallons per person per day details here. Personal use permits may be obtained at a US Forest Service Office or Ranger Station Locations here.

Willamette National Forest (Central Cascade Range), Deschutes, Fremont-Winema, and Umpqua National Forest:  These four forests all issue a free use permit that is valid for any of these four forests. As of mid-May, 2017, the Willamette National Forest is no longer requiring a Personal Use Mushroom Permit for collecting up to 1 gallon of mushrooms (other than Matsutake), per day, for personal use/consumption. If you want to be able to collect more than 1 gallon per day, you can still utilize your Personal Use Permit in accordance with those requirements and limits.  Important Everyone (including personal use) is required to have a permit to pick Matsutake. Link to Matsutake permit process for 2021.

The Willamette National Forest Office in Springfield and all of the ranger stations (Middle Fork, McKenzie, Sweet Home, Detroit) are still issuing Personal Use Permits. A Commercial license is required if you plan to sell mushrooms picked in any of these forests. Mushroom permits expire on December 31st of each year and must be renewed annually. A mushroom permit issued from any of the following four forests is valid for all four forests.

  • Deschutes National Forest
  • Fremont-Winema National Forests
  • Umpqua National Forest
  • Willamette National Forest

Due to COVID-19, mushroom permits are now being issued via a phone call to any of the Ranger District Offices below

You may obtain a Personal Use Mushroom Permit valid for the Deschutes, Fremont-Winema, Umpqua, and Willamette forests by calling any of the phone numbers below. All of these locations are currently closed to the public. The hours for answering the phones are Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Closed on federal holidays. You will need a valid photo identification such as a Drivers License.

  • Supervisor’s Office 3106 Pierce Parkway Suite D, Springfield. OR 97477, 541-225-6300
  • McKenzie River Ranger District 57600 McKenzie Hwy, McKenzie Bridge, OR 97413, 541-822-3381
  • Middle Fork Ranger District 46375 Highway 58, Westfir, OR 97492, 541-782-2283
  • Sweet Home Ranger District 4431 Highway 20, Sweet Home, OR 97386, 541-367-5168
  • Detroit Ranger District 44125 North Santiam Highway SE, Detroit, OR 97342, 503-854-3366

Links to Mushroom Collection Regulations/Permits:

Similar Posts